Sunday, May 6, 2018

What I've Been Reading 5/6/18







Welcome to the first installment in a series of posts (which will hopefully be weekly, if not bi-weekly) showcasing all the graphic novels I've been reading. If you've been following me on Twitter and Instagram you'll notice I've been utilizing my local library a lot this year and that I try to stop in at least once a week. Since the start of 2018, I've already read 36 graphic novels, which just seems insane to me! So I'd like to track my progress, sharing with you guys all the new books I've come to love and even those I may not have entirely cared for. Perhaps it will give you guys an excuse to try out something new for yourself!

For the time being, I'd like these What I've Been Reading posts to focus purely on collected volumes versus floppy copies. Eventually I'm hoping to cook up a separate series of posts showcasing, individual issues and perhaps new series.



The Prince & The Dressmaker - Jen Wang - Everyone on Twitter was raving about this original graphic novel upon its debut. I finally picked it up for myself and fully understand what all the fuss is about. I LOVED this book. Like to the point of not wanting to put it down, only to get depressed when I finally finished it, loved! I know it may be too early to say, but I think Prince & The Dressmaker is going to be a top contender for one of my favorite books in 2018. Everything about this book was perfect, and that's not a word you can throw around casually. Jen Wang crafted a beautiful, coming of age tale, about love, acceptance, and sexuality with Prince and the Dressmaker. I borrowed this book from the library but I immediately went and purchased a copy for myself. This is one of those stories I'll be forcing into the hands of everyone I meet. Creating a book on such a sensitive topic can be difficult, let alone exceptionally rare but Jen did so without a hitch. There's so much love put into this book and it shows on each page. P.s Jen Wang's artwork is absolutely stunning so that's reason alone to pick this one up. [AMAZON]

RoughneckJeff Lemire - Recently I've fallen in love with Jeff Lemire both as a writer and an artist. Between Black Hammer, Plutona, and surprisingly enough his work on Hawkeye, there hasn't been a book from Lemire I haven't loved. While I enjoyed Roughneck I didn't LOVE it like I do with some of his other stories. That being said I was still able to appreciate the tale at hand, as it focused on the love and struggling bond between estranged siblings. Lemire's artwork, as usual, is always impressive, and on books like these where he has his hands on both the writing and illustration, he's able to truly convey the story in his head. Roughneck had heart like all his stories do but personally, it was a little gruff for my tastes. The pacing was a lot slower then what I'm used to from Lemire as well so it was harder to engage in this one. If you're a fan of Jeff Lemire definitely pick this up because more then likely you'll enjoy it, but it wouldn't be my first recommendation either if you haven't read his previous work.  That being said read Plutona. You won't regret it. [AMAZON]

Bingo Love - Tee Franklin & Jenn St. Onge -  Queer women in love sign, me up. Bingo Love is short, sweet, and a book you'll finish in one sitting. The Kickstarter success found a home with Image comics and is currently on everyone's reading list. It showcases a love between two young women. What starts out as a forbidden love, progresses across generations.  While I loved the story it was trying to tell, for the most part, Bingo Love felt overly simplistic, both in its dialogue and in the way the story is presented. While that made for a smooth read it also left the story feeling dull at some points, leaving me wanting more. Even with that being said you can tell this is a story created with every ounce of love and passion, both from Tee and Jenn and that's what makes the story really shine during certain moments. Bingo Love is a testament that representation in stories matter. It's hard enough to find queer stories and even harder to find queer stories featuring women of color. I'm happy enough to know that Bingo Love has at least created a foothold for hopefully more stories like this in the future. [AMAZON] [COMIXOLOGY]






My Brother's Husband - I don't read a ton of manga. The ones I do read tend to be nontraditional ones (if that's even a thing). My Brother's Husband was the cutest damn book on this entire planet. I read that entire book with a smile on my face. Another queer as hell book, about love and acceptance, My Brother's Husband, tells a story of a single father and his daughter and how their life turns upside down when his brother's husband from Canada shows up on their doorstep. It really puts gay and queerness into perspective as we're shown how it's perceived and accepted from two drastically different generations. Young Kana is immediately accepting of her uncle's difference while her father Yaichi is much more hesitant on the subject and idea. As a queer woman, My Brother's Husband taught me to love myself, and that eventually there would be those who would love and accept me too. The ending of the book made me scream (in a good way PROMISE) and now I'm distraught that I have to wait until September for book two to be released. Even if you don't traditionally read Manga I would still consider giving this one shot, because it really does tell such an amazing story. [AMAZON]

Hawkeye: Hawkeyes - Jeff Lemire & Ramon Perez - I hate to admit this...but I'm falling in love with Hawk Guy. As a Green Arrow obsessed gal...I'm disappointed in myself. For years I pushed against the idea that I could love both Clint Barton and Oliver Queen, but here we are, Jeff Lemire, makes this list a second time for his work on Hawkeye. Usually, I'm not a fan of massive time jumps, but when they're done well, giving you a brief glimpse at a potential timeline, that's when I'm sold. Hawkeye pulls this off very well, seamlessly blending a distant future for our heroes, as well as the strain on their close bond, and the events that would cause it. I loved being able to see Old Man Hawkeye and middle-aged Kate Bishop, as they attempted to rekindle at the time they had lost. I will admit this book started off really strong, and while the second half wasn't terrible, it certainly fell flat compared to its opening. While it's not necessary to read Matt Fraction's Hawkeye prior, I would definitely recommend it as there are a few bits here and there that carry over from the previous title. [AMAZON] [COMIXOLOGY]




No comments:

Post a Comment