Wednesday, April 10, 2019

What I've Been Reading


https://thatcomicgirl.blogspot.com/2019/04/what-ive-been-reading.html

After what feels like a million years, we're finally back with another segement of What I've Been Reading. This seems to be a pretty popular serial among my readers so I want to make sure that I keep up with it. For those that are new to ThatComicGirl, What I've Been Reading basically just details exactly what the title states, what I've been reading. I tend to primarily focus on graphic novels and collected trades. If you're looking for my thoughts on some new series, check out my New Series Roundup. (Ps there's totally another one of those on the way because there's just so many good series in 2019 and we are blessed!) I don't know about you but I just think these pieces are just a nice little way to get people interested in books they maybe normally wouldn't have looked at before. On a side note, I've thought of giving the thought of transfering a lot of my content to Youtube as I feel like a lot of content creating is now housed on things like Youtube and Twitch. I mean do people still even blog? ....but I also hate Youtube, and my face, and my voice so there's that. Either way and as always let me know what you think on any or all of that.

Mera Tidebreaker - Danielle Paige & Stephen Bryne -If you follow me on any sort of social media you know I love Queen Mera. So when Mera Tidebreaker was announced, I immediately put it on my list of most anticipated books of 2019. First it's Mera, and honestly, I will never argue with having more Mera in my life. Even with the four issue mini-series published in 2018, it wasn't nearly enough. Secondly, it's one of the launching titles for DC's new imprint, DC Ink, which is reason enough on its own to get excited. If you don't already know DC Ink is a new line of graphic novels targeted towards young adult readership and will also include other titles such as Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass and Teen Titans: Raven. Mera Tidebreaker helps to serve as a more in-depth look at the character's origin and her first encounter with Arthur Curry as well as the surface world. In the past we've seen subtle looks into Mera's life as an assassin for the kingdom of Xebel before ultimately betraying her orders and eventually assuming the throne as Atlantis' queen, but never anything nearly as detailed as Tidebreaker This time around really felt like a fresh new take on the character, and it's truly an all ages and inclusive story about growing up and pathing your own path. I'll admit there are moments in the story that feel a little dumbed down and cheesy, but I also acknowledge the fact that this story really is geared toward a younger audience. Despite it's younger approach I was still able to enjoy it as a long time fan of the character and loved every little bit of this book. From Stephen Brynn's inventive and playful character designs to the strong and powerful initiative Danielle Paige has crafted with Mera's character, this book is just a joy from start to finish. Not to mention fresh off the hype of the Aquaman film, this book will serve as a great jumping on point for new readers of any age. [Comixology]




Rogue & Gambit: Ring of Fire - Kelly Thompson & Pere Perez - I've been slowly reading more and more from Marvel. So my equal love for Rogue and Gambit, albeit that love coming directly from the 90's cartoon series, and my love for Kelly Thompson (seriously check out her work on Hawkeye and Jem & the Holograms) were bound to lead me to the 2018 mini-series eventually.  And those covers from Kris Anka? SWOON. Unfortunately, despite some of the witty dialogue between the main characters alongside the fantastic art from Pere Perez, I just was not a fan and actually struggled to finish it. The plot felt really convoluted at times and I wasn't able to follow along almost at all. Maybe I'm just out of the loop in regards to these characters. There were a lot of jumps back and forth between the past and present which added to the confusion. Along with a mess of a plot, there wasn't really any motivation for the story's villain, who was so forgettable their name escapes me. Despite some really heartfelt moment between the pair, it just wasn't enough for me to enjoy the story as a whole. It's very possible that X-men comics just aren't my thing. After all, I had a very similar experience with Matt Rosenberg's Phoenix Resurrection. On a positive note I will say that I really enjoyed seeing all the various versions and incarnations of the famous mutant couple, and of course, being able to see the small cutesy moments between Rogue and Gambit made me a very happy gal. Overall I wouldn't mind giving the followup series Mr. and Mrs. X a chance considering how much I adore Rogue and Gambit as a couple. [Comixology]

PerdyKickily -Perdy is an original graphic novel from Image comics and has been on my list of books to read for awhile. Lucky for me I finally sat down and took the time to read this fantastic book. I'm not the biggest fan of westerns, (aside from Red Dead Redemption and True Grit) however the idea of an older leading lady who was crass and literally took what she wanted, immediately had me onboard. After all how often do we see something like that any genre, comics or otherwise? After spending fifteen years in a Yuma prison, Perdy is back and she's after a bounty that will set her up for life. Along the way she'll have confrontations with her own past, but she'll be damned if she lets that stop her. The flow of Perdy feels simplistic, yet engaging making it a really quick and enjoyable read. It almost felt like a more violent and raunchy comic strip you'd find in the Sunday paper but on a larger scale. That might sound like an insult to some, but I assure you it's far from it. I also really love the larger magazine style size of this book along with its usage of pink for both the cover and much of it's interior. There isn't nearly enough pink in comics! I will forwarn that there is a lot of nudity and sexual comedy all throughout Perdy, so if it's not something you're okay with then it will be hard for you to love this book. However, if you're looking for some good laughs alongside a badass female lead check it out. I can definitely say that Perdy's cliffhanger ending has me excited for book two! [Comixology]


Spiderwoman: Spiderverse - Dennis Hopeless & Greg Land - I feel like of all the Spiders out there, Spiderwoman is one of the hella underrated ones. Maybe I'm just not seeing it because I'm more involved with the DC community, but compared to the other female characters like Silk and Spider Gwen, I just don't really see a lot of people talking about my girl Jessica Drew. Now, this is the second time I've read Spiderwoman: Spiververse. Believe it or not, this was actually one of the first Marvel books I really ever touched back when it was released in 2015. I can honestly say I enjoyed it just as much now as I did four years ago. Now I have mixed feelings on how I look at this book from a newcomer standpoint. On one hand, I can totally understand and see it being overwhelming as this book does fall in the thick of the huge Spiderverse event. This arc also utilizes characters like Spiderman Noir, Spider Gwen, Spider-Girl and of course Silk, who also plays a large role through the entirety of the book. Sidenote, I love Greg Land especially some of his work throughout this book in particular, but I'm not crazy on his portrayal of Silk, as she's merely a teenager and Land's representation of her comes across as anything but. All of that aside Spiderverse is a really nice introduction to Jessica Drew/Spiderwoman as a character, particularly with how witty and sassy she can be. If I'm being quite honest it's exactly how I came to love her. Not to mention this arc is filled with doppelgangers and a pirate Namor from another universe. Of course, you'll want to read it for that last reason alone. For those still reeling from Into the Spiderverse, this is honestly a perfect book to help fill the void. [Comixology]

 Sleepless Sarah Vaughn & Leila Del Duca - I'm just gonna get it out of the way and say that Sleepless is such a refreshing take on the predominantly white fantasy genre. Sleepless blends cultures together, creating an imaginative yet familiar world. Not only that but both of it's main characters are both POC's which is something we don't see nearly enough in comics. I've said it before, but diversity should come naturally and it feels just that in Sleepless.  The title revolves around Princess "Poppy" Pyppenia and her Sleepless knight Cyrenic. Following the death of her father, and the assumption of the throne by her Uncle, Poppy and Cyrenic attempt to navigate and adjust to life at court under a new ruler, while also avoiding the several assassination attempts on Poppy's life. It's the time old story of the Princess and her dutiful Knight, the antiquated relationship they've built over the years and the budding romance to come after.  It's fantasy trope that myself and I'm sure many others enjoy. This fantasy romance story has the intrigue and deception of Game of Thrones without all the gore and unnecessary nudity, which makes it perfect for teen readers as well. From Star Readers to literal Sleepless knights, I can say I've never read fantasy content like this, and with book two on the horizon it makes me so excited to see more of what the creative team and bring to the table. I said before how much I adore the blend of cultures crafting the world of Sleepless but I really can't stress it enough just how wonderful a world Sarah Vaughn and Leila Del Duca have created. Colorist Alissa Sallah's usage of patterns in both the character's fabrics as well as the settings around them just feels ingenious and makes me wonder why this style hasn't been utilized more especially in the fantasy genre. I picked up the first issue of Sleepless upon it's release and didn't thoroughly enjoy it, but I can assure you reading it in the collected trade format you'll fall in love with Sleepless and probably finish it in one sitting. [Comixology]





No comments:

Post a Comment