Thursday, May 2, 2019

Cover to Cover: Red Sonja

A majority of the comics in my collection, I've bought are because of my love for the cover. I'm a huge variant chaser, and gorgeous, eye-catching covers are one of the many things I love about the world of comics. So welcome to Cover to Cover, a new series of super casual posts where I'll be featuring my favorite covers. Each post will be dedicated to a specific character, theme, title or even genre. The possibilities are literally limitless. Of course, this is always about us, so let me know what kind of characters/themes you'd like to see in the comments below!

I figured I'd start things off with Red Sonja, the She-Devil of Hyrkania and light of my entire life. If ya'll aren't already reading Red Sonja you totally should be and ya'll know I have a recommended reading post for her in the works! Considering I have an entire short box dedicated to the character it shouldn't be very hard.

Now a character like Red Sonja literally has thousands of covers. Unfortunately, that's not an exaggeration in the slightest. Dynamite Comics typically puts out three to four different variant covers for the She-Devil (This totally doesn't include the black and white, or virgin variants btw.) I absolutely hate this sort of practice. That being said I'm totally a culprit of buying multiple covers for a single issue. I'm terrible I know.

It feels like everyone has had their hands on Red Sonja at some point. From Cliff Chiang to Amanda Connor, to Adam Hughes. There's a Red Sonja cover for everyone and I really mean that. This is a character that has the ability to be portrayed in such a wide range. There's been the classic comic takes, from her original creator Frank Thorne, to the more modern, pulpy style of Ben Caldwell.

Now while I say there isn't anything in particular, I look for in my Red Sonja covers there's definitely a few factors. How muscley is she? (My biggest pet peeve is when artists literally draw her with a visible and sickly looking ribcage) Does she look like she's ready to kill me? And of course the ultimate benefactor, how gay does this make me feel? Okay, so that last part was a joke, or was it?

Anyway, it's pretty much impossible to include every single cover of Red Sonja I've loved, but I did my best to include some variation. Who knows maybe I'll just have to make a second post showcasing my She-Devil.

Red Sonja #18 by Tula Lotay - Red Sonja #21 by Ben Caldwell - Red Sonja #3 by Jenny Frison

Red Sonja #3 by Gabriele Dell'Otto - Red Sonja #9 by Mike Mckone - Savage Tales #1 by Arthur Suydam

Red Sonja #20 by Babs Tarr - Red Sonja #6 by Billy Tan - Prophecy #6 by Paul Renaud
Red Sonja #10 by Mary Wilshire - Red Sonja: Monster Isle by Cliff Chiang - Red Sonja 25 Erica Henderson
Red Sonja #1 by Fiona Staples - Red Sonja #25 by  David Williams - Red Sonja #3 by Christian Ward
Red Sonja #3 by Amanda Conner - Conan/Red Sonja #3 by Dan Panosian - Red Sonja #3 by Julian Totino Tedesco









No comments:

Post a Comment