Thursday, May 23, 2019

The Importance of Comics & Your Local Library



https://thatcomicgirl.blogspot.com/2019/05/the-importance-of-comics-your-local.html

 I'm just gonna say it, comics can be expensive. If we're just looking at collected trades and graphic novels the prices for each one can range anywhere from $9.99 to $29.99. For anyone looking to get into comics or even to the casual reader this can feel intimidating and even offputting. Well did you know that your local library more than likely has comics for you to borrow?

As comics become more popular and even mainstream, more and more local libraries are realizing the importance of expanding their graphic novel sections.  You'd be surprised, just how many recent and relevant titles are available for you to read. Now I'll be honest when I say that a lot of these selections are a majority of series from both Marvel and DC, libraries are slowly expanding their shelves for series from other indie publishers like Image. Not every librarian is up to date in the world of comics, and a lot of them tend to look at best sellers list, while also continuing series they may already have on the shelves.

So what happens if you don't see a title you're looking for on the shelf? Well believe it or not but most libraries either in a county or state are connected. A lot of libraries have a free library transfer system, along with their online catalog, which means that you have access to all the libraries in your area, giving you a wider selection of stories to choose from, and you can have those books sent to your local library for pickup. The best part it's FREE. Now I live in Delaware, so I have access to literally every library in my state, (I guess there are perks to living in the smallest state) depending on where you live your accessibility could be a bit different so make sure to ask a member of staff.  I've even heard from friends that some libraries, especially in larger cities have digital libraries available to patrons, so that's something to also check into. If you don't see a particular story or series at all you can always talk to a librarian about potentially adding said book to their collection, again a lot aren't in the comics community and from personal experience they're always willing to listen to a suggestion.


 Now there are some people who's first initial thought feels like getting your comics from a local library hurts the comic industry as a whole but I can assure you this is not the case. I always preach that you should support your local comic shop, first and foremost when you can, especially when looking at direct markets like Amazon or even Barnes & Noble. But comparing your local library to Amazon is like comparing apples to oranges. In fact, there are a lot of comic shops out there who partner with libraries to help get the titles they need on the shelves.

So how does supporting your local library also support the comic industry? Well, the libraries have to get their comics from somewhere? I already spoke about how some local comic shops partner with libraries, but again those graphic novels are bought one way or another. Which means money and support is going directly back to the publishers. Not only that but the more graphic novels and trades that are checked out of the libraries, the demand for these books are seen, and the budget for that department gets increased. Which means more comics for you to check out!

 Libraries and their accessibility to comics is such an important thing for a multitude of reasons. Personally, I'm one of those people who has an insane comic subscription list, as well as the compulsive nature to be buying trades (especially those $9.99 Image trades) every time I turn around. That being said I still like the soft cushion of knowing that I can also get all the comics I want without feeling restricted. Sometimes you want to try out a new series or character without the risk of spending the money on something you might not even like, which is something I seem to do a lot. I've had the opportunity to read books I never thought I would pick up in the first place and some of those series are even on my favorites list now. If I'm being entirely honest I don't think I would be reading as many Marvel comics as I am without my local library. I was a DC loyalist for the longest time, but the library has helped me fall in love with characters like Hawkeye, Moon Knight, and X-23. Now I'm still a lowkey DC loyalist but I also now love Marvel, which is something I never thought would happen.

The moral of the story is support your local comic shop when you can. But for days where it might not just be in your budget or you're just looking to branch out into something new without taking the risk, support your local library!








No comments:

Post a Comment