Sunday, May 20, 2018

ThisKidsNotAlright - A Red Hood Recommended Reading List


Jason Todd, also known as the Red Hood is the second Robin turned vigilante after his death and inevitable resurrection. Following his return to Gotham, he found himself head to head with the Batman before eventually going his own way as he formed a team of his own all the while getting himself into a whole lot of trouble along the way. The Red Hood may follow his own morally grey agenda but he still holds enough of respect for his former mentor and father figure to try and maintain the honor of the Batman mantle and legacy from time to time. The Red Hood is a name I'm seeing pop up more and more even with some more mainstream comic fans. He seems to be appearing everywhere nowadays, from animated movies to video games, not just in our comic books.

I remember my first experience with the Red Hood character and being blatantly confused because I never even knew that there was more than one Robin, let alone that a character like Red Hood even existed.  But like all characters, those comics most essential can be a little muddled, and be lost among the multitude of stories created. So here are some fundamental reads for the Red Hood.

*Keep in mind that I'm focusing on stories involving Jason's Todd's later persona as the Red Hood versus his time as Robin*


Death In The Family - Jim Starlin & Jim Aparo - While the Red Hood persona never shows up in this title, (in fact the Red Hood persona won't show up for another twenty or so years) I consider this book essential though not necessary for the character. You could get away with reading any of the books on this list without ever having to pick this one up and still have a clear understanding. Death of the Family paves way for the birth of Red Hood later on.  While it obviously deals with the death of Jason Todd, this story also focuses on the search for Jason's birth mother.  Death In The Family isn't my favorite book on this list, as personally, it feels like a slow burn, but I can't deny that's an essential read for the character. Without the death of Jason Todd, we would never see the birth of Red Hood. [Comixology] [Amazon]

Under The Red Hood - Judd Winick & Doug Mahnke- If there's one book I consider a MUST read for a Jason Todd/Red Hood reading rec list it's this one. This is the beginning of Red Hood and his "reintroduction" to Gotham as he has come to torment his former mentor while simultaneously taking down to the crime boss known as Black Mask.  Everything you need to know about the Red Hood lies within this book. I can honestly say this is my favorite story on this list and is one of my top picks in terms of Batman stories in general. From the savage Black Mask to the badass vigilante Onyx to the Red Hood himself I love every single part of this book. There is so much emotion in this story and it really makes for a great first introduction to the character.  Not only is this book great because it's just great in general but it has an animated adaption, also titled Under The Red Hood, which I also consider being one of the best in terms of all the animated films. If you're looking for the first pick in your reading stack, this is it. [Comixology] [Amazon]



Red Hood: Lost Days - Judd Winick & Jeremy Haun - You're going to be seeing Judd Winick on this list a lot, but to be fair he did a lot for the character during his peak. He's also who I consider as the best writer for Red Hood and I would literally give every fiber of my being to have him back on a book again for Jason.  Red Hood Lost Days, while is another one of those that I just grace over, I can't deny it's importance in terms of lore. Lost Days is about Jason's first days of rebirth outside of the Lazarus Pit. Although featuring a questionable relationship with Talia Al Ghul (one that I still can't wrap my head around)  this one fills in the gaps as Jason prepares for the eventual return to Gotham and confrontation with his former mentor. This series also has one of my favorite comic covers for Jason Todd ever. [Comixology] [Amazon]

Batman Annual #25 - Judd Winick, Shane Davis & Mark Morales - I try not to include single issues during my recommended readings, yet I can't help but feel like Batman Annual #25 is extremely essential. After all, it answers the frequently argued question of whether or not Jason Todd was actually present during the events of Batman Hush.[I would recommend picking up Hush as it's one of my favorite Batman stories, Red Hood plays a very small part over a course of about five pages]  Picking up after the events of Red Hood: Lost Days this sets the course of Jason Todd's revenge against Batman. This oversized issue works as the perfect link between Lost Days and Under the Red Hood. [Comixology]



Green Arrow: Road To Jericho - Judd Winick & Scott Mcdaniel -Alright so maybe I'm a little biased. But I can't stress it enough that Judd Winick wrote the best Red Hood. To this day I still think that he's the one creator who knows Jason best. If you're not looking to invest yourself in an entire volume of Green Arrow you can always just read Green Arrow #69-72 as these are the issues that feature Red Hood. In Road to Jericho, the Red Hood has turned his sights from Gotham to Star City, home of the Green Arrow. Teaming up with Brick (one of the most badass Green Arrow villains you'll ever meet!) he sets his sights on Green Arrow's sidekick, Speedy in an attempt to turn her against her mentor. This one's also a great introduction to Mia Dearden/Speedy. She's one of my favorites ever and you're bound to fall in love with her. If you decide to stick this one through to the end you'll also be treated to a worthwhile finale for the Green Arrow series. There's some really great dialogue in this book involving all parties present and is another one of my personal faves. Again this isn't because I'm biased towards Green Arrow, or Judd Winick or anything like that......[Comixology] [Amazon]

Batman: Battle For The Cowl - Tony S. Daniel - Spoiler alert Batman dies. Battle For The Cowl picks up after the death of Batman in Final Crisis as it's decided amongst Gotham's heroes and vigilantes who should pick up the legacy and mantle of the caped crusader. The obvious choice to take on the role of Batman is Dick Grayson, the original Robin, but Jason Todd believes otherwise, deciding that he would be the best choice for Batman, as his style and "okay to kill if it's justified" rule would help to bring law and order to Gotham. Fair warning this isn't my favorite portrayal of Jason Todd, as there are moments here and there where it feels out of character. I'd suggest this as an advanced recommended reading for Red Hood/Jason Todd. There's a lot of characters that show up in this one and it can get a little overwhelming if you're not as familiar with comics. That being said it makes for a fun read because there are so many characters making an appearance. [Comixology] [Amazon]

Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn - Grant Morrison & Frank Quietly - I'm just going to leave a disclaimer out in the open to avoid things from getting ugly. I cannot stand Grant Morrison as a comic book writer. That being said I have an extreme soft spot for his run of Batman & Robin. Not only was this the introduction of one of my favorite villains, Professor Pyg, but it was also another chance to see a darker side of Jason Todd. Don't get me wrong I love seeing him as a vigilante, but seeing as how most modern comics decide to take that path in his morality, I'm fascinated with his struggle with villainism. There are a few times where the run is a little strange, and sometimes over the top (as most work by Grant Morrison is) but overall I find it an extremely enjoyable read. Although I could do without Jason's red hair and the idea that Bruce forced him to dye it to conform to his standards????? I warned you that Grant Morrison was weird. [Comixology] [Amazon]



Arkham Knight: Genesis - Peter Tomasi & Dexter Soy - I'm a huge fan of the Arkham Knight series. HUGE! It's the main reason I bought my PS4. However the final installment in the series, Arkham Knight was a huge disappointment. While it wasn't able to fix everything, Peter Tomasi & Dexter Soy's six issue mini-series Arkham Knight: Genesis helped to patch some holes I felt were left by the game. During this mini-series, Tomasi reinvented the Arkham Knight/Red Hood/Jason Todd persona while still sticking to the basic roots we were give by previous comics. It's a lot darker, and will break your heart (as most comics written by Peter Tomasi are) but is fundamental for any reader who wants more Jason Todd. Keep in mind that this is a stand-alone series and does not require you to have any understanding of the game(s) prior to reading. I also feel like I have to mention that Dexter Soy is definitely one of my favorite artists who has worked on Jason Todd. [Comixology] [Amazon]

Red Hood & The Outlaws Rebirth: Dark Trinity - Scott Lobdell & Dexter Soy -  I'm going to need you to bear with me on this one. While I understand Scott Lobdell is a terrible writer, the proof clearly apparent with his runs on Red Hood & The Outlaws and Teen Titans during the New 52, but he knocked it out of the park with his Rebirth run. I'm not entirely sure exactly what has happened between the New 52 and Rebirth but this is Jason Todd at his best. Forming his own misfit Trinity alongside Bizarro and Artemis, the first volume brings back Red Hood's feud with the Black Mask. It's funny and exciting, with some honest to god deep and developing moments for the characters that I wasn't expecting. I'd recommend staying away from RHATO during the New 52, but RHATO Rebirth was an unexpected surprise. While I'm not up to date on Outlaws I've heard it kind of goes sour after Vol 1 but you can make that decision for yourself! [Comixology] [Amazon]



This is also my shameless plug for the Jason Todd/Red Hood fanmix I made years ago. I like to think it still holds up as a representation of the character. You can check that out on Tumblr and 8tracks. 

What are some of your favorite Red Hood stories and what recommended reading lists would you like to see me tackle next?

As always HAPPY READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment