Friday, May 4, 2018

Free Comic Book Day 2018; The Grab Pile



Free comic book day! It's always the first Saturday in May, and if you're a dork like me, then it's probably one of your favorite times of the year. Not only is it a time for free comics, but its a wonderful way to meet and support comic creators who may be visiting your local shop. This year is looking to be one of the best free comic book days in recent years. Not only are there some really great books up for grabs, but there's some really neat exclusive figures for this special day, including that Lying Cat Funko Pop variant that I'm telling myself I don't need.

 Now while I won't be in attendance this year due to work, doesn't mean you should miss out on the fun.With 52 titles launching it can be a little overwhelming, but that also means that there's something for everyone.  So if you're heading out to Free Comic Book Day this weekend here are a few titles you'll want to make sure are in your pull.


Overwatch/Black Hammer - We're approaching the two year anniversary of Overwatch, and admidetly this game has consumed my soul. For what Overwatch lacks in it's ingame lore it makes up for with the anthology style comics they sprinkle here and there. Luckily all of these stories are available for free online, or if you're like me and prefer something physical, Darkhorse collected them into a hardcover collection. Personally I wish they had released these stories issue by issue so that I could collect and display the covers, so finally having a physical floppy copy makes me super happy.

This one is a double whammy for me too because it features a story for Jeff Lemire's Black Hammer. I've been digging Black Hammer and am excited to see more of the universe. If you haven't checked it out yet, Black Hammer puts a twist on the superhero genre when a group of superheroes are transported and trapped in our seemingly normal world. This Free Comic Book Day issue would make a great introductory start into this series, and is only another reason why you should pick this up.



History of Tank Girl - I don't talk about her enough but I LOVE Tank Girl. From the comics to the movie I love this girl to itty bitty pieces. So I'm really excited that the History of Tank Girl is part of the Free Comic Book Day lineup. It will finally give people the excuse to be able to fall in love with this wonderful character without feeling like they have to commit 100%. (Which honestly is what Free Comic Book Day is all about.) I mean who doesn't want to love the post apocalyptian queen.  I took a quick peek at this book and can honestly say I'm in love. This one has three different stories, by three different artists, each one uniquely different and illustrating a colorful piece of Tank Girl's unhinged past.

Once you get hooked on this loveable maniac make sure you check out some of my favorite Tank Girl stories including Two Girls One Tank, 21st Century Tank Girl, and Tank Girl Apocalypse. And if you haven't seen the 90's cheesefest featuring Lori Petty, get on that! [PREVIEW]



Barrier - Brian K Vaughn and Marcos  I remember Barrier being announced during the Image Press Expo. It's the newest story from Brian K Vaughn and is supposed to tell a realistic story of illegal immigration and violence, with a Sci-fi spin on the topic. So real world stuff. Brian K. Vaughn is one of my favorite stories. Saga, Pride of Baghdad, Paper Girls, there hasn't been a story from him that I haven't loved. The man isn't a stranger for telling real-world stories wrapped around fantasy settings, so I'm really excited to be able to dive into this one. This is the entire first issue of the five part mini-series, and it's FREE. If you love Saga like I do I recommend this one being at the top of your list. I have no doubt Brian and Marcos are gonna knock it out of the park with this one.

If you can't get your hands on the FCBD edition of Barrier #1 it drops this Wednesday in your local comic shop so it will be available for purchase. Those of you waiting for the trade, don't...because according to previews this is something that won't be collected. [PREVIEW]

Crush - I've been leaning towards indie, non conventionally drawn comics more and more as of late and the with the previews for Crush, I was totally getting that vibe. Crush is actually a preview of the third installment in a series of books from Svetlana entitled Berrybrook Middle school. Crush, in particular, follows the story of Jorge, and while he shows no interest in romance, there is one girl at school that gets his heart racing. The artwork is super cute, and like I said I'm a sucker for these coming of age stories. Along with maybe the Legend of Korra comic (which is also something you should totally be picking up), this is the book I would recommend if you're attending FCBD with some younger readers. Even if you don't have any pint-sized humans in attendance, why not pick it up yourself for something light, fun and cute.

 If you fall in love with this book, make sure to check out, Awkward and Brave the other two titles in the series, Crush is available for preorder when it drops in October [PREVIEW]



The Mall - Its Breakfast Club meets the Godfather when three teenagers find themselves the new owners of a local store, fronting for a money laundering service. Thanks to their father they're thrown into the dangerous world of the Columbian drug cartel, all while trying to juggle the normal hardships of high school. This preview for the upcoming series is a  John Hughes inspired story that's bringing something new to the crime genre   Fresh off the heels of 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank, from Black Mask Comics (another book you should be reading by the way)  I'm all for another coming of age crime drama. Throw in the 80's setting, and I'm sold.

There's also previews for four other new series from Scout Publishing in this book. Considering my love for Henchgirl which debuted with the same publisher, I'm excited to see what kind of story The Mall brings to the table. [PREVIEW]


 Keep in mind that while these comics may be free for you they aren't free for the comic shops, so make sure to make a purchase on your visit. Most local shops hold killer Free Comic Book Day sales, most of them lasting through the entire weekend, so there's literally no excuse for you NOT to bring home something extra special.

So grab you friends, your kids, or if you're like me your grandmother and stop by your local comic shop for Free Comic Book Day tomorrow.

If you're not sure of a shop in your area, or if they participate in the Free Comic Book Day festivities (not every shop does) you can always use the comic book locator tool!

No comments:

Post a Comment