Friday, July 13, 2018

Heads Will Roll - Clankillers #1 [Early] Review



  I've been on a warrior woman kick lately. I mean I'm always on a kick with warrior women, but lately, I've spent a lot of time with series like Vault's Heathen, Dark Horse's Sword Daughter, and Dynamite's Red Sonja. So seeing as Clankillers #1 was being advertised as another young warrior girl on the run and out for revenge I knew I had to put the first issue on my reading list. Of course I have to give out a huge thanks to Sean Lewis and the Aftershock team for sending ya girl an early review copy. You guys are seriously the best!

Clankillers tells the tale of teenage rebellion, set amidst the harsh landscape of historical Ireland. Blaming the death of her mother, and the descent of father's madness on the Goddess Balor, Princess Finola decides that she alone will take down the holy deity. But in order to come face to face with the goddess herself, Finola will have to kill the Four Clans of Ireland, including the one belonging to her own kin.

There's a lot of potential in this first issue. Lewis and Fuso have really laid out the groundwork, setting up both the characters and story quite nicely. Why is Finola seemedly her father's favorite daughter, what was the king like before insanity took over, and of course why did the Goddess Balor need to kill the Queen? These are all questions I NEED answered and why I'll be continuing to read this series.  It gives readers enough to be invested without blowing it all away with the first issue. We've also got some really great characters on our hands. Of course I love Finola, she's got the spirit and strength to conquer through anything taking the impossible feat of claiming a goddess' head, head on. (Pun totally intended) But who I'm really enjoying is King Padraig the Grotesque, As his name states, he's a man of pure evil. Padraig is the comic book equivalent of Tywin Lannister and its shown throughout the issue through his own actions and dialogue why he's so hated by his daughter and feared by those around him. He's a tortured scumbag and those are my favorite kind of characters.

Now Antonio Fuso's art is rough, but given the mood and style of Clankiller's, that's not a bad thing. In fact, it's what really helps to bring the story together. The colors are dark and murky, really helping to set the brutal tone of feudal Ireland. The world is shit, and while dialogue can take that feeling so far, Fuso's art brings us that much farther, truly showcasing the hardships in which these people are forced to face.

Series from Aftershock comics seem to be hit or miss. Animosity and Insexts both from Marguerite Bennett are among my favorites from Aftershock but I think that Clankillers makes a great new addition to the publisher. I'm really excited to see where this series will go as Finola cuts her way through the four clans to her goal. Given that we've already seen talk of Goddess' and some magic I'm hoping that the creative team will pull even further from Irish mythology. Give me all the banshees, kelpies and changelings, please!

Clankillers #1 hits the shelves of your local comic shop this Wednesday, July 18th, as well as digitally over on Comixolgy.

For fans of Sword Daughter & Head Lopper.



No comments:

Post a Comment