Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Star Crossed Lovers - Darth Vader: Dark Visions #3 Review



Alright gang so I normally don't do individual reviews on single issues, unless it's the first issue of a new series, however after reading Darth Vader: Dark Visions #3 today and literally not being able to shut up about it I felt like it was a great opportunity to share my excitement with you guys. I literally sat at my kitchen table and for lack of a better word "squealed" through all 28 pages of this issue.

For those of you who don't know already Darth Vader: Dark Visions is a five issue mini-series from Marvel comics, with each individual issue being a self-contained story from the point of view of someone who has had an encounter with the Sith Lord. It's an outsider's perspective on a character we've known for years. I love the idea that we get a chance to see Darth Vader in more, dare I say personal situations. We've seen a lot of series featuring the dark commander in the past, but none like this. Vader is one of the most complicated characters in fictional history, let alone in Star Wars, so getting the chance to see even more of his multi-faceted persona is just such a treat and I wonder why it hasn't been done like this before.

I'll be honest, Dark Visions wasn't on my initial pull (but it is now, with issues one and two on special order) I only had a desire to read issue three because it was supposed to showcase a romantic relationship between DARTH VADER (not Anakin Skywalker) and another woman. As fans, we've only known Darth Vader to love one woman, Padme Amidala. So the idea of him having relations with someone other than the woman he literally turned to the dark side for had me more than intrigued. I mean look at that cover. Not only that but who could possibly be in love with Darth Vader, a man turned machine. I mean personally, that's a hard same. While the teenage girl in me loved Anakin Skywalker the woman in me loves our Lord and Savior, Darth Vader. 

The story wasn't what I expected, and honestly, that's more than okay. I thought there might be mutual feelings between Vader and our unnamed heroine but I can assure you without majorly spoiling anything that is not the case. Instead, we get a lonely Imperial medic, stationed on the Death Star, with an awful unappreciative boss who just wants Vader to notice, love and accept the love she would give him in return. She's fascinated by the power, strength, and mystery behind the man. Again girl same. There are moments where her obsessive love kind of give you that Harley Quinn/Mad Love vibe (you know without being Harley Quinn levels of annoying) Multiple times throughout the issue there are beautifully drawn out fantasy moments as she envisions what a life would be like should Darth Vader choose to have her by his side. These moments were both stunning and heartbreaking. The entire issue almost felt personal. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who had these same exact fantasy ideals as a kid.

I can't say for sure the feel of the rest of the series, but issue three, in particular, had an oddly quirky vibe that we don't even see in the Star Wars Universe. David Lopez and Javi Pina's art style at times often reminded me of a softer version of Erica Henderson's work during her time with Squirrel Girl, and that style just worked with the tone of this particular issue. That being said it still was serious in nature throughout most of the story and at some points, it even showed moments of honest and pure sincerity.

Dark Visions is totally going to be collected into a trade, with all five issues being available in comic shops in August, but honestly, if you can I would look for the individual issues because this book is just that good.

Between Visions and the IDW series Vader's Castle (which gives a more horror take on the character), I love seeing the odd and peculiar glimpses into the Star Wars universe, and while I'm sad that Dark Visions is a mere five issues it makes me excited for what the future can bring. After all, I'll never say no to more Star Wars.

1 comment:

  1. I felt it was a very pessimistic story and not even naming this girl and calling her garbage felt like a slap in the face to female fans to me. Hated that she is constantly depicted in wide eyed trauma, this story had nothing clever other than how it trivialized Phantom of the Opera, The Force Awakens, and the Last Jedi. Didn't connect with me at all, don't understand why you liked it??

    ReplyDelete